Urtica plants needed

• Creator
    Topic

Weimom
    Participant

Hello all. I have been badly let down by Fastway Couriers, and partly Oratia Nursery.
    After years of either having Admiral butterflies in my garden with no plants & then plants but no butterflies, I finally have a few Admiral caterpillars on my 2 small plants & I realised I needed more. So I bought more plants from Oratia Nursery on line, on Wednesday. I received an email from the Nursery early Thursday telling me the plants had been picked up by the courier. Friday afternoon the plants still hadn’t arrived. I rang the nursery & they were unable to track where my plants were. Not at all helpful, even though I explained I had Admiral caterpillars & needed more food for them!

What do I do now? & even if the plants arrive on Monday, what state will they be in after 4 days in a carton?

Can anyone in the Cambridge/Hamilton area help with plants? Or tell me where I can go to find them growing wild.

Thanks
    Wendy

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Great to hear, Wendy. Keep up the good work!

Weimom
    Participant

Just a quick update from me. The plants arrived Monday morning. I was unable to source any plants over the weekend, but fortunately Admirals don’t chomp through the food as quickly as Monarchs. I lost 2 of the 5 caterpillars over the weekend to predators, but have the 3 remaining ones on plants in my garage.
    Wendy

Jacqui

How did you get on for stinging nettle, Weimon?

Pepetuna
    Participant

When I had a similar problem (Admiral caterpillars run out of food) last year, I relocated the caterpillars in the gully behind the Hukanui School near Chartwell Shopping Centre. I didn’t find any other patches of nettle growing handy to Hamilton.

I’m sorry I don’t have any plants I could offer you.

Jacqui

Hello Wendy – I’m busy enough, but here’s a link to the FB page:

http://www.facebook.com/mbnzt

Jacqui

Weimom
    Participant

Hi Jacqui
    They are just the annual Urtica. The plants came up in my vegie garden, so I left them there just in case!
    I do use FB sometimes, but haven’t been to your site. I am happy for you to copy & paste this message.

Thanks for your reply.
    Wendy

Jacqui

Hope someone reads this and can help – but you could also post on our FB page if you’re a FB user. I hope someone can help. What sort of stinging nettle were the caterpillars eating?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.