Very hungry caterpillars

• Creator
    Topic

KylieF
    Participant

Hi I am new to this forum only joining today. I have just had a friend in Christchurch and one in Napier tell me their plants are bare and their caterpillas are not big enough yet.

What are the best alternatives? Or does everyone rush out and buy more plants?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Jarad – what I do is put the cuttings in a vase, and just roll a plastic bag or bags into a ball and stuff them in the top of the vase.

Don’t forget to break up the bottom of the cuttings of swan plant though, otherwise the cuttings won’t “drink” the water.

Glad he could help. It’s really useful knowing people nearby.

Jacqui

Jarad
    Participant

Hi Jacqui

I called then visited Chrissie’s husband who was able to give some useful pointers, especially since they live in a block of small flats similar in size to mine so thanks. For now I just need to continue establishing myself a lot better by growing more swan plants. He gave me some seeds to help with that and said to get in touch with him if I run out of clippings.

In regards to trying to feed caterpillars on picked swan plant leaves he noted that doing it without water is not plausible since drying picked leaves become too toxic for the caterpillars to eat. However he showed me a margarine pottle filled with water and small holes punched into the lid that could be used to poke leaves into that I can adopt if I get desperate. That would make the droppings fairly easy to cope with too. I guess I’d just have to be cautious of the size of the holes in comparison to the size of the caterpillars.

Thanks

Jarad

Jacqui

Hi Jarad – you might want to contact Chrissie Ward, she should be able to help you. I will send you her email address. Watch your Inbox!

Cheers

Jacqui

Jacqui

Hi Jarad

Another tip, for FB users, is to look on FB for a “local” community group. Post there that you’re running out of food. THere are plenty of people who have swan plants galore but no caterpillars.

And yes, if you have found Tom’s contact details here, do contact him and any others to see if they can help.

Wish I could do more to help you!

Jacqui

Jarad
    Participant

Hi Jacqui

I’m not quite at KylieF’s stage yet but can see it approaching quick for my single five month old swan plant – especially given that the eight chrysalis’s (I forget the plural word) I’m babysitting inside for safety will be butterflies soon and no doubt meeting with each other to prepare to laden my young plant with new eggs.

I’ve read the FAQ ideas for some pointers but have hit stumps there for two reasons. I’m trying to grow the stumpy clippings that I’ve used to babysit caterpillars on and I don’t have any portable plants to spread them under in the style that FAQ suggests anyway. I’m in Nelson so am I able to call the people (like Tom Marston) you’ve given to other local people in the forum to get pointers?

Thanks

Jarad

Jacqui

Hello Kylie

Check out earlier discussion in the forum – if you click on “swan plant” from the hot tags to the right you will see what others have found. Also, the FAQ page at the top and “feeding Monarch larvae” here:

https://www.monarch.org.nz/species/monarchs/monarch-host-plants/feeding-monarch-larvae/

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.