Wanted: Monarch caterpillars in Wellington

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

carolL
    Participant

Where can i find some caterpillars or pupae for my swan plants, in Wellington area?

Carol

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Any luck yet, Phillip? You could look around your neighbourhood for a plant called Araujia sericifera, sometimes A. sericefera, and pop the larger Monarchs on that where you find it – it’s a weed. Just squeeze a few leaves to get the sap flowing first.

Or you could put the biggest caterpillars on pumpkin for them to finish off. But let’s hope that someone has plants to spare and can take them.

Phillip
    Participant

Hi Mandy, if you dont mind a drive to Upper Hutt i have caterpillers that you can take.

carolL are you still after some caterpillers ?

contact me either by email: palmitic@gmail.com or cell: 0273677445

Mandy
    Participant

Hi I would like some caterpillars for my swan plants too. I am in Karori if any would like to relive some of their plants 🙂

Caryl
    Participant

CarolL
    I have many small caterpillars (Seatoun) but too small for them to be moved yet. My cell ph is 027 8426773.

carolL
    Participant

Yes please-haven’t had anyone contact me yet-can you please call me?

Mystic Vampyre
    Participant

I have eggs on some outside Swan Plants (I have inside ones also) so if you need more pillers, you can have some of ours also. 🙂 I am in Tawa.

carolL
    Participant

Hi Caryl

Many thanks-I would love some 🙂
    I am at 9 willcox grove naenae, 5675568.

Carol

Caryl
    Participant

Hi Carroll
    I have plenty of eggs on my swan plants, some a month old but none have hatched yet. Where are you in Wellington? I know of swan plants that monarchs just don’t visit and I have no idea why, except that crazy this may sound but I invite the monarchs to my garden!! I haven;t seen any monarchs for more than a week now and it may be that all the wintering over females have died.
    You are certainly welcome to some caterpillars a week or two after they hatch. Warm regards, Caryl

joanna
    Participant

Sometimes the plants being sold at garden centres (open air ones) already have eggs and small caterpillars on the plants. I bought some here in Masterton like that last year, which was great.

Jacqui

Monarchs can smell milkweed from 2 km’s away. So you probably won’t have to wait for too long, Carol

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.