Wanting some caterpillers in Whangarei

• Creator
    Topic

Cecily
    Participant

Hi there, I have lots wonderful plants this year but virtually no caterpillars. So am happy to collect spares from in Whangarei if anyone has some to spare. Thanx.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Cecily
    Participant

Hi there Fiona,
    No problems. We finally have got some rain – the first for about 3 months. So we are most grateful. Take care, Cecily.

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Hi again Cecily
    Well Im in another severe gale storm here. Been bringing in hundreds of pupa Js and caterpillars. Many have not survived the wild weather.
    Lets not give up yet! Lets try to make this transfer to you happen!!
    Give me a day ot two to settle down from all this lifting /carrying plants and moving catz to safety!
    Fiona

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Yes – thanks for that Jacqui
    To be honest Im a bit scared of sending eggs let alone caterpillars in case they get lost or dropped. Its an act of trust isnt it. Fi

Jacqui

FiLeBeau, you might find it’s better NOT to tell the couriers what you want to send. I know one courier company has a restriction on sending insects (evidently a package of bees they were transporting tipped over and… well you can imagine.

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Hi again Cecily
    Well we had the worst of the storm and flooding last evening.
    I spent another day bringing caterpillars, Js and pupas into shelter or higher ground. And trays of plants too!
    Yet the sun is out today and noone would know weve had this weather bomb!
    Given your plants capacity Im thinking that your 20 was a good number – so how about I keep to that 🙂
    Im phoning couriers now but will have to wait until Tuesday I guess as its a holiday weekend.
    But dont worry as I have all sizes and will pack up the wee ones to go on Tueaday morning to you, if thats what the courier reuires.
    I will be back in touch soon.
    Fiona

Cecily
    Participant

Hi there Fiona, No problems – wish we could say the same. The grass here is so dry it is now a fire hazard! I am happy to take whatever you would like to send. Especially now that you have had to rescue them. Will leave it up to you. (I like surprises):)

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Hi Cecily
    I been delayed with a weather bomb here – Ive been bringing caterpillars pupas and Js into shelter. Taken me many hours over 2 days. The worst weather is about to strike 🙁
    So Im wondering if you still would like me to send you come caterpillars or eggs. I apologise for not being able to act more swiftly. Fiona

Cecily
    Participant

Morning Fiona, I think 20 would be a great number. Will look forward to hearing from you soon. Many thanks again Cecily.

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Hi Cecily – Thanks for your address and further details. Could we say 2 caterpillars per plant (or 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 per plants – asratios not wee fellas!!) – so say 30 or 40 or 45? Or alternatively – what about 20 caterpillars and you netting off some plants for their own offspring to be born! How do you want to manage this – with the next generation in mind too? Let me know! Im so happy to send some lovely Kapiti Monarchs your way 🙂
    I will email details of courier soon. Bye for now Fiona

Cecily
    Participant

Hi again Fiona,
    Thank you for doing this. Where do you live as I would happily contribute to postage costs for you. I have probably about 20 plants. They are all about 6 foot tall and have fabulous foliage. In the past we have had that many caterpillars that I don’t have enough plants, yet this year it is totally the opposite. Thanks again and I loo forward to hearing from you soon. Cecily.

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Hi Cecily
    This will take a couple of days as I will prepare the container and book a courier tomorrow then go searching for caterpillar eggs the following morning and send them on the same day if I can.
    Can you let me know how many caterplillars your plants can support?
    How many plants do you have?
    I will keep you informed as I make progress 🙂
    Thank you for posting on the site – its a wonderful resource isnt it.
    Best wishes
    Fiona

Cecily
    Participant

That would be wonderful – thank you.

Might be best if you send them to my work, that way they will not sit in the letter box all day in the heat.
    Cecily – C/- Sudburys Ltd, 20 Commerce Street, Whangarei 0110 or PO Box 154 Whangarei.

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Hi – can I send you some eggs?? Would that be of help?
    Please let me know
    Best regards
    Fona

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.