Wasps

Tagged: ,

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

Hey look at this…

http://www.whyistheanswer.com/how/

I think this is something we should look at devising and have installed EVERYWHERE where there’s milkweed for when the wasps return in the spring. This one has baits that are both sweet and protein. It would be really good if we could have wasp-free butterfly gardens in the spring, and get the Monarchs established well in those areas where they haven’t had a good season.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Anonymous
    Inactive

I found the same as Char, but just used a rolled up a newspaper or lady mag (newspaper is better).

Charlotte
    Participant

We have tried this method with normal soft drink bottles and only caught the odd normal wasp. We did have around 12 bottles around the section.

We even tried a commercial wasp attractant and the paper wasps were not interested in any of them. All they wanted was the pillars.

A lot of people out West Auckland have had a terrible time with the paper wasp this year.

Cheers
    Char

The only success we did have was Al with his $7 electronic zapper bat to swat the wasps. This knocked them off their socks;-))Never to return again. LOL

bcjenk
    Participant

Spot on robapon. I would suggest a small block of wood, or a stone on the bottom to put the bait on. Surround that with a bit of water with a few drops of liquid detergent to catch and drown the wasps. The bait, I’ve heard, is a bit of tinned fish early in the season as they are after protein, then later change to jam when they are looking for sugar. Bryan.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Find the substances used to entice them into the trap, then this could be allied into a fizzy drink bottle cut in half with the top making a one-way in funnel to achieve the same drowning or dehydrating deaths of the Wasps.

Swansong
    Participant

After looking at the link, from what I can see, I agree 100% with Jacqui. Whats the point of the waspinator.

What we want is a dead wasp not a shifted wasp. You know similar to dusting which just puts the dust else where, as apposed to vacumming which gets rid of it..

Unless Im missing something, just looking at it and I cant see theres any special deterent other than this basic sewn up little grey bag. Anyone with a sewing machine would be able to zap up one of these in a doddle, and affordable at $29????? what a ripoff IMO.

Swansong

Jacqui

I don’t know – but what is the point? We need to limit the size of the population if we can’t get rid of them altogether – so what is the point in encouraging them to go elsewhere?

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi,

Would the waspinator work with paper wasps?

Char

belong
    Participant

just did a google on “wasp and Fly traps” and there are lots of ideas about home made ones. Too many to post an url but i will work on various ones before next spring and report results

Jacqui

Haven’t seen this one in action but someone else posted a link to something similar, one that could be made at home.

But these will just encourage them to go elsewhere, so don’t think that’s a positive thing. What do others think?

Has anyone tried http://www.wetandforget.co.nz/waspinator.htm ?

Would be good to see some trials done with a range of products.

Angie

Jacqui

I’ve been thinking more about this, Bryan… I wonder if we could have a go at making similar traps like these and really encouraging people to make them and use them and see if we can’t make a difference.

bcjenk
    Participant

Years ago, I had a Venus fly trap that was the same principal, but only one opening at the top. After I had finished with the flies, I cleaned it out, baited it with jam and caught quite a large number of wasps that were attacking the bee hives. That was early enough that the bees had enough to do and not go for the jam. It was quite effective. I wonder where it is now? Bryan.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.