WASPS Ggggggrrrrrrrhhh

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Jane
    Participant

In Palmerston North there have been monarchs laying eggs since August – BUT – not a single caterpillar yet. Each fine day (not many of those here) there have been monarchs laying eggs for the last couple of months, and within a couple of days ALL the eggs are gone. I’ve just come inside after looking over my plants and there isn’t a single egg or Caterpillar to be seen GGGGrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhh!!!!!! Is anyone else having this problem too – I blame WASPS!!!! but I haven’t caught them at it.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jane
    Participant

Best thing to do with your nettle seeds would be to sow them direct where you would like them to grow. The Giant Swanplant seeds have been much slower than the others for me too, and if I were you I would just tip the mix they are in into the garden, and don’t give up on them. Some of the seeds that I sowed several months ago, are now coming up in the corner that I tipped them in long after I had given up on them : )

Stefan Olson
    Participant

Blutterfy,

Unfortunately my giant swan plant seeds went nowhere. 🙁 I’m thinking the seeds got washed out when I was watering. I did plant some more in those orderings things that grow when you water them and I’m also going to try planting some in jiffy pots with seed mix. Hopefully my glasshouse like room out the back will be warm enough for these things to grow quickly.

I’ll also try putting some of the nettle seeds you gave me in jiffy pots with seed mix and see how that goes.

The nettle plant that you gave me is growing really quickly, which is great!

…Stefan

Jane
    Participant

Thanks Stephan,

I had a look at our plants again today, and have our first caterpillar, and eggs on same plant. Some other plants have been stripped of their eggs, but probably because they are planted close to ‘Queen Annes Lace’ which feeds predatory wasps of the tiny kind eg; Encarsia formosa. Will leave it that way this year as that plant will hopefully then have the chance to become very large, and next year I can pull out the Queen Annes Lace’ growing beneath it.

Terrific to hear that you have caterpillars! Any luck with your seeds?

The G. pysocarpus (Giant swanplants) you saw when visiting here are slowly growing : ) at last, and the roots are beginning to come out of the base of the pots.

Stefan Olson
    Participant

Blutterfy,

Good news! I now have monarch caterpillars! I’ve got quite a number of eggs that are very close as well. If you want some caterpillars, just let me know.

…Stefan

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi,

We do have a few here in pots these are our feeding stock for the butterfly house. They have not grown much from last year either.
    We shall use them up this year and have new stock coming on now.

I agree Swansong you are better to plant them in the ground if you have the space. We have spaced ours out this year and have around 30 plants planted in various gardens around the section.
    Although we are lucky to have such a big section. Got to put it to use, and we see this as being the best way. LOL

We do have quite a few people coming to visit our place, as we sell plants for the Trust on Trade me. This really helps people who are beginning with swan plants, and have made some lovely contacts from this as well.

Know how you feel Swansong with the weather. I would rather be back in RAROTONGA!!LOL.

Cheers
    Char

Swansong
    Participant

Thankyou Patz for your kind thoughts and words. Its great to be able to share the little things we come up against or figure out. Im sure we all have a little something that helps someone else out no matter whether we are experienced or not. Awlays something to learn.

Yeah you have your good days and bad. Everyones reacts different they say. FOr me, …Cant wait til its over. Sometimes its the PITS 😐 but theres days where things feel pretty normal too.

Well so far NOV has been as measely as OCT : \, although it MIGHT have been a tad warmer today but overcast as.

Cheers
    Swansong

Jane
    Participant

Hi Swansong and Patz,

I also prefer to plant swanplants in the ground, but always have more coming along in pots too because just occasionally I lose a plant for no apparent reason, and like to keep many back-ups coming through. They are very hard to keep the water up to in summer in pots.

This year I’ve put in a selection of G. fruticosa and G. physocarpa, so I will be very interested to see what the difference is in terms of performance, because I have only grown G. fruticosa in previous years.

Yes coldest wettest October here since World War 2!!!!!! WOW eh – it feels like it too : /

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Swansong – yes, I did baby the plants through last summer – their first year. Had about 80 butterflies emerge :)But plants seem to get a bit past it and need more root space. Mine are pretty much stripped now with the earlier arrival of egg-laying gals.
    The Flutterbys’ plants in the ground were like trees last time I saw them them – I wish!
    You were a mine of information last spring/summer when I was learning – thanks for that :).
    Hope you are doing well – I do think of you.
    Best
    Trisha

Swansong
    Participant

Hey Patz, yes pot plants are definitely not as good as in the ground. The fact is you really have to baby them all through the summer to keep them going. Water water water and extra food galore.. Ive found they do OK for the 1st year with all that going on but unless you have huge pots, the 2nd year, nah. Pots have their place in the overall scheme of things depending on your situ. Theyve been essential for me, especially for finishing off when we get frosts and the pillarz have to come inside. Up north you can get away with this. If I could swing it Id sooner have all in the ground, and fine nets to keep out predators.

Indeed Blutterfy, it has been sooooo cold here. DIdnt they say something on the weather last night about it being the coldest/wettest October since 1946 or the war or something… Cant remember but its been FLIPPIN cold….

Jane
    Participant

Thanks everyone. We have had the worst weather here for an October that I can remember. Like you Swansong – frosts and all, so the swanplants haven’t even rocketed into growth like they usually would have by now. Can’t complain about lack of ground moisture though – we are so waterlogged here that we wondered about building an ARK! (The nettles are doing well though)

Jacqui – I would report a pest, but you’ve really got to catch them at it in order to be sure, and I’m not at all sure really just a suspicion at this stage. I have seen many german wasps around all winter here though – they were responsible for wiping out both our bee hives this year. We have many ants here too, which is surprising given the ground moisture, but once again, I cant blame the ants because really I have to see them at it – and I haven’t seen ants on the swanplants at all.

I think I’ll have to organise a stake-out!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I live quite close to Flutterbys but haven’t seen many wasps -and no ants – plenty of aphids, though.
    My plants are all in pots and I’m convinced this a not a good idea. The ones I planted in the ground at a friend’s place some months ago are doing much better. Off-loaded many caterpillars there this weekend because my plants are pretty much stripped already.
    Butterflies visited me earlier this year – my friend, up Albany way, has had no butterflies/eggs. Her first season with swan plants, so these cats should get her started.
    Have had five or six butterflies emerge so far.
    I need to get a patch going in the ground.

Jacqui

Don’t forget that we encourage you to report pests on the website, so that this information goes straight into the database, much easier than scrolling around the forum to find out what/where/when etc.

Thanks!

Yes, wasps are prevalent in Russell too. BUT as we don’t have a lot of swan plant growing, I guess they’re going to help us with plant regeneration.

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Blutterfly,

I live in West Auckland and I am loosing my eggs as well.
    We do have the wasps back again and also ants are back.
    So I suspect like last year these are the pests taking the eggs.
    I read somewhere that coke attracts the wasps. So we are going to give this a try in our wasp traps.

Before the wasps and ants arrived we had a load of eggs hatch and now we have over 100 pillars coming on. Some have already gone into a chrysalis. The cold snap we have had has slowed things down up here as well.

Cheers
    Char

Swansong
    Participant

Well I wouldnt put it past being wasps and some of them are sooooo tiny you can barely spot them. However as Ive discovered from the many posts over time on this subject, there are other predators too that go for eggs. In the end, Im rapidily coming to the conclusion that if you want to keep the predators out, its a case of the mozzy netting Im afraid. The fine type that lets the sun in is ideal.

Its a wonder anything is going on at all with the lousy weather weve been having including late frost down here.

Swansong

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.