Website top level menu?

Tagged: , , ,

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Darren
    Participant

After recent discussion about the difficulties of finding children’s resources I have added a "Children’s resources" section to our links page. If you do come across good children’s resources on your travels we can put the links in there.

By the way, how many people know we have a links page? It’s as well hidden as our FAQs, and I was a member for a long time before I found either of them.

Would it be more helpful to make the links and FAQs top level menu items? (like MEMBERS, MONARCHS, Search, ABOUT US, PROJECTS, OTHER SPECIES, Forum, Registration.)

Perhaps OUR SHOP should be on the top level as well. It is currently under MEMBERS, but it is also for non-members.

Also do we need search on the top menu since it is also on the right side above the Forum rules?

And while I’m at it, why not a link to our Photos section. How many people know how to access that?

(Gee, adding a link for the kids sounded so simple…)

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh, I thought Jacquie’s son, Giant Robot, was a professional?
    It surely is clunky old technology and I would have thought an upgrade was within reach with all the financial members and fundraising MBNZT does.
    I work in database management mostly, so I far from understand the front end. We seem to build to some pretty good stuff that doesn’t require a Lotto win.
    Best
    Trisha

Darren
    Participant

It would be wonderful to move the whole shooting match from wordpress to something more modern and open source. Sadly that is (as Jaqui points out above) a job for a professional, and that’s not going to happen unless you believe in lotto tickets.

In the meantime I have some basic IT skills from my former life as a scientist before illness caused me to retrain as a preschool teacher and I’m offering to put those skills to use tweaking the menu, but a magician I’m not.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think the whole site needs re-mapping. Logic isn’t really there – and was not improved during the last revamp.
    Stuff is everywhere and anywhere.
    Best
    Trisha

Darren
    Participant

One heading that perhaps could go to make room for another, and that is “Monarchs”. We probably don’t need to have “Monarchs” separated from “Other species” – they could be at the second level. And there is room to the right for more tabs (above the other search box.

Sounds good to me, but if we move Monarchs under “other species” then what is it “other” to? At the moment I assume the “other” refers to “other than monarch”. So what could it be called? Species? Factsheets? Datasheets?

Darren
    Participant

any other thoughts or opinions?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, I agree the navigation would benefit from a tidy-up.
    Perhaps even an archive tab for some of the very old stuff sitting in the menus?

To clarify, Darren, the woman I spoke to said there was a ton of resource on the net – just not on MBNZT, and nothing in the newsletter to share with her children ( 5 and 7, I think they are.
    She and others are building their own resources for their school’s after-school programme.
    I think they have done bees, ants, monarchs, praying mantis and lady birds so far.
    She thought her MBNZT membership might have introduced her to some prepared, learning resource without an extra cost.
    Best
    Trisha

Charlotte
    Participant

LOL.That’s me. At least we can laugh about it;-)

I agree as well and if we can make the changes and make it easier for everyone who comes to the site.
    No more name calling now Darren. hee hee

Char

Jacqui

Fancy Char calling you names, Darren. Tch, tch. 🙂 You can’t trust that woman. 🙂

I agree with everything you’ve said there. You’ve got my vote… But I’m not going to call you any names. hehe… just in case. I’m pleased you’re sorting it out.

Darren
    Participant

I forgive Char for calling me an enormous ball of hot gas. (ie, a star) 😉

Yes, I’m all for discussion, that’s why I started the thread. I’m also not trying to be critical, just helpful. So here is my contribution to the discussion.

I’m fine with menus and sub-menus. However I do think that a menu should group together related items. Unrelated items get lost and would do better with their own menu.

I also agree we don’t want the top menu overloaded. But as things change and grow I think the menu should change and grow too. Also the submenu system uses javascript. I’m a wee bitty paranoid, so I have javascript off as a default until I trust a site.

At the moment we have MEMBERS, MONARCHS, Search, ABOUT US, PROJECTS, OTHER SPECIES, Forum, Registration. That is 81 characters including spaces, and we still have unused space on the right. At a rough guess I’d say we’ve used 70% of the menu bar. So we probably have about 115 characters to play with.

* search is unneeded. That saves 8 characters.

* Shop is under members. I don’t think it belongs there, but it doesn’t really fit with any of the others, and its important, so I think it warrants its own heading. 6 characters.

*FAQs are very valuable. They save heaps of duplication, and they help people find what they want quickly. 6 characters.

*the link to photos is under About Us, in the middle of a paragraph at the bottom of the page crediting Vicky and Giant Robot for the website. There’s great stuff there, but I hardly ever remember to check it unless somebody posts a link in the forum. It would need 8 characters.

* Links isn’t really “about us”, its more about other places. It could go with FAQs, as in “where can I find…” But a button labelled “Links & FAQs” will take as much or more room as two buttons labelled “links” & “FAQs”.

Jacqui

For someone who’s s… I think you’re a smartypants. 🙂

Jacqui

Oh you are a smarty pants for someone who’s simple. ROFL.

Darren
    Participant

Simple is good, I like simple, I am s…
    ahem, anyway, don’t let the cost worry you. Have a look at the top menu, third from the left . 😉

Jacqui

That’s a great idea about the children’s resources.

There was a reason we didn’t put more tabs on the top level, Darren, and that was we wanted to keep it simple. These changes cannot be implemented by you and me – so we’d have to really do some hard thinking before we change the layout of the site itself. The ones chosen were (we thought) the best at that time. I’m not saying it can’t be changed but there will be a cost involved and we need to REALLY think this through so that we then don’t make further changes.

I would have thought that people know that a menu can often lead to a sub-menu.

One heading that perhaps could go to make room for another, and that is “Monarchs”. We probably don’t need to have “Monarchs” separated from “Other species” – they could be at the second level. And there is room to the right for more tabs (above the other search box.

More thoughts everyone/anyone? Have an explore and let’s have your thoughts. Our website is and will be always a work in progress as our organisation grows and evolves.

Charlotte
    Participant

I never knew we had a links page, lol.
    Yes I agree with making the FAQs and our shop top level menu items. I also don’t think we need search on the top menu and why not a link to our photos section.

I’ve had a few people say to me our site is not easy to navigate around.

Glad you’re here Darren a real STAR to have around.

Cheers
    Char

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.