Wellington Monarchs

• Creator
    Topic

Caryl
    Participant

I saw my first winter over butterfly yesterday. Checked for eggs but none yet.
    Does anyone else in Wellington have eggs on their swan plants? This week last year I spotted my first monarch eggs of the season. Also today I was able to purchase some one metre high swan plants from a local nursery. Great that nurseries are providing them early.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Wonderful work Caryl (and Christine).

MARIE
    Participant

I just want to say a huge thank you to Caryl for trusting me with her precious monarch eggs. Thanks to her I have had butterflys coming back and laying on my plants. I have upwards of 400 crysalis hanging waiting to hatch and I couldn’t begin to count the number of caterpillers I have still happily eating away. I now know the full pleasure every one else gets out of watching your butterflys flipping around your garden. I have enjoyed Monarchs in my garden since early December and it’s all down to Caryl. A Big Thank You from Christine in Gore for making my dream come true.

Caryl
    Participant

Hi Marie, We last connected in September. How is the monarch season going for you? I am now culling eggs. Please let me know if you’d like some. Caryl (Wgtn)

catlovercaryl@gmail.com

027 8426773

Jacqui

“My only concern is that I find it difficult to keep the leaves moist…”

What I do is remove the leaf OR the part of the leaf which has the egg on it. Put the leaves on a tissue which I have lightly sprayed with water inside a plastic container with a lid. Twice a day I check the leaves for caterpillars (look for frass) and also add more leaves with eggs on them. Then I remove the caterpillars using the bristle end of a child’s soft paintbrush (previously described here in the forum) and put them onto a plant.

If you are sending the eggs/leaves somewhere, if you collect them on a Monday morning and put them in a CD case the same day, they should be fine in transit as it is five days before the caterpillar emerges. The first day they eat their eggshell – and then if the leaf that that caterpillar was on has dried, there is bound to be another leaf there which is not dried and inedible.

Hope that helps.

Caryl
    Participant

Marie I am so happy you posted this message. I don’t ever want to cull eggs but I was over-run with them and not enough food and I won’t let caterpillars starve to death. I had 465 monarchs born in a month!
    My only concern is that I find it difficult to keep the leaves moist the eggs are on if I remove them from the plant. Can you help me with that because when the leaves die the egg is lost? MY cell is 027 8426773
    and my email is catlovercaryl@gmail.com

MARIE
    Participant

Hi Caryl please don’t cull eggs before contacting me.
    I’m always greatful to anyone who can help me out.
    I live in Gore and have to rely on others to send me eggs.
    I always have heaps of food but the Monarchs aren’t established
    Down here yet. So please don’t forget me. Even if you have spear eggs
    Early in the season that you can send me to get
    Me started i would be greatful. My cell is 027 525 7484

Desiderata
    Participant

Yesterdays dash to california Garden Centre netted another 10 good sized plants for me – thanks for the tip Caryl. I’ve found my seeds very slow to germinate, putting them out in a cloche in seed mix in August so nothing special,and they have only just come up more than the expected 20 days for germination- so maybe the balance of yours are still to show themselves…I’m more than happy to share and catch up – if you run short or feel like sharing butterfly stories let me know (0279701684)
    I work over two sites for tagging and release – our city pad and our farm over Masterton way – so life gets a little complicated when catching and tagging time comes. Couldn’t do with out my butterfly net..

Caryl
    Participant

Hello Desiderata, I am in Seatoun. Our beloved female monarchs have visited my garden and laid eggs 3 times this week. I am impressed your seeds have germinated. I scattered seeds with sheep pellets September 1 and none have germinated. Some I just scattered on the garden, others in pots.How did you get yours to grow? Maybe you have a glasshouse? Wish I had the room for one. I have some inside that are doing well, about 4 inches high but am waiting for better weather to sow them outside. California Garden Centre, Miramar, got more plants in yesterday, most about a metre tall, not very bushy though. I bought 20. Last season my butterfly count was just over 940, over 400 in February alone and I still had to cull eggs which I never want to do. Like to meet up sometime? Caryl

Desiderata
    Participant

Hi Caz, as of toady I spied one very battered female monarch ( no visible tag) laying eggs on my swan plants here in Roseneath – An early start to the monarch season for me. Interesting to read you had eggs this time last season – just wondered where are you?
    My local garden centers are already out of plants, so maybe there’s more wellingtonians
    gearing up for a good season of butterflies. I’m glad that I gathered last seasons seeds and they appear to have all come up. So I will have plenty of plants, that havn’t cost a fortune.

Desiderata
    Participant

I have noticed that California Garden Centre in Miramar wellington has/had some large grade swan plants. Also Palmers in Miramar small grade. I have sighted three monarchs flitting around the CBD, specifically a small park up by US embassy. Wondering if there’s an over wintering site around the hills in Thorndon?

Jacqui

Lansdowne are supplying some big plants to the California Garden Centres. I’m getting a list of where else they are available.

Caryl
    Participant

Hi Jacqui, I deliberately did not name the nursery since there were so few plants.
    I am in regular contact, every 2 days, with local suppliers so I will post another message when more are available. I will also contact the Miramar Golf Club to see if there is a winter over site there.

Jacqui

That’s fantastic about the swan plants here, Caz. What garden centre was it that you found them – please share!

Does anyone in Wellington know of any overwintering clusters around?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.