Wellington Overwintering Sites

• Creator
    Topic

Meghan1
    Participant

Hi all,
    I am wondering if anyone knows of any site in Wellington that the Monarchs are in this year?
    Thank you.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies

FiLeBeau
    Participant

The wintering over Macrocapa (and nearby large trees) on Raumati Road have been felled this last week by the Council. Apparently the airport was complaining about the height of the trees and that are/were in the flight path. My neighbour asked about the houses on the nearby sand dune – higher than the trees – and asked if they also will be felled?
    Kapiti also knocked down a hill nearby to the Monarch’s tree and that had many nectar sources on. They put up a car park.
    In tune with Joni Mitchell’s protest song – In Kapiti we have “pulled down the trees and put up a parking lot”.
    My neighbour and I are going to put forward a petition to save the raming half of the hill and trees – and replant for the Monarchs. We aim to set up a reseve if we can.
    If any of you are able to support this action please let ne know.
    My best, Fiona

Meghan1
    Participant

That’s such a shame! I hope they have at least found somewhere safe to be for this winter!!!

Caryl

Update on Porirua Winter Over Site (near Wellington). I visited today 8 June and spoke to another resident who lives close to the site. He said he had seen none there this season and that he has lived closeby for 41 years. This confirms a resident last year saying she had lived in the area for 46 years and the monarchs had been roosting there for more than 46 years. There were NONE today either. I remain concerned. I did note that the local Council had laid Blue pellets containing brodifacoum toxic to humans and dogs. I wonder if this has an impact on monarchs. Caryl

Meghan1
    Participant

Thank you.

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Hi Meghan
    I will go check the sites to see if these are still operating this winter and confirm with you.
    The new expressway and other developments have disrupted birds habitats as well as those of many insects and animals.
    The knocking down of a local hill along with cutting down many significant trees and shrubs will have effected the Butterflies nectar sources and maybe their winter over trees too.

Kind regards
    Fiona

Meghan1
    Participant

Hi Fiona,
    Are those sites easy to find? Or are you able to please tell me the name of the dog park (if it has one) or the road it’s on? And the site on Raumati Road, is that in a park or just on the side of the road?
    Thanks so much
    Meghan.

FiLeBeau
    Participant

We have an over winter site here in Kapiti.
    A large one has been at the dog park in recent years and there is a modest one on Raumati Road.
    Fiona

NormTwigge
    Participant

The butterflies may have congregated on another tree. I have observed a macrocarpa tree overwintering monarchs for several years, until one year there were only a handful. But half a kilometre away, where I had not observed any before, was a good number overwintering. While an tree may overwinter monarchs for many years, there is no guarantee they will keep returning permanently to the same tree.

Caryl

On Friday last I visited the winter over site near Porirua, Wellington where butterflies have roosted for many than 45 years. It was sunny but cool day and there were no butterflies at all. I find it hard to believe they were all away nectaring. There had been a rotting rope there last year covered with hundreds of butterflies and there’s only a short piece of the rope left now. Any thoughts anyone. This concerns me. I will visit next on a cloudy day. Caryl

Caryl

Hi Leslie, Email me please….catlovercaryl@gmail.com
    and I can give you the details. Left my mobile at a friend’s place!!
    Caryl

LeslieD
    Participant

Hi Caryl I just had the first of my late autumn brood I bought inside hatch out and it (sex yet to be determined) is hanging in the hall in the caterpillar castle. So, what to do now! plan has been to move it into a progressively cooler environment so it gets the anti freeze sorted .. but as you will appreciate the weather forecast is not so great and i’m not at all sure it will actually take flight any time soon. Karori has temps a few degrees lower than town as well. AND the kid next door has a butterfly net 🙁 .. so I might contact you regards the overwintering site too if I may.

Meghan1
    Participant

That would be wonderful thank you. I’m new to Wellington and just don’t know where to begin looking.

Caryl

Hi Meghan, I only know of one site (there are obviously many of them) in Wellington that being near Porirua where the butterflies winter over and have been doing so for more than 46 years. I will visit the site this week and confirm it for you. Caryl (Seatoun)

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.