Wellington: Trees cut down

• Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

I have just been sent a newspaper clipping (thanks Mike) which appeared in The Dominion:

Hutt City Council or Greater Wellington Regional Council has chopped down two trees by the Hutt River, at Avalon. They housed hundreds of monarch butterflies. Do they intend planting new trees to attract the butterflies back?

(signed by David Carter, Avalon)

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Hi Joanna

Will email the info. that I have for this one in Avalon to you – but don’t have any further details about the trees chopped down in Lower Hutt. I will be down there after the school holidays so if I have time I will investigate further.

Jacqui

joanna
    Participant

Sure – my first step will be to check with the policy team at my own workplace and go from there.

It would be REALLY USEFUL if the GPS coordinates for overwintering trees are given when filing a sighting report. To get a Council to protect a particular tree (or trees) the precise location will need to be known.

I could probably help out with getting coordinates in the Greater Wellington area if need be – if I can get a list of  known sites with clear locations or street addresses.

Jacqui

Joanna – would you be prepared to pursue your idea? It is one that we’ve had “on the list” for some years now – ever since the MBNZT was formed and we wanted to protect the pohutukawa at Butterfly Bay – but I’ve never had the opportunity to pursue it. Perhaps an article in the Local Government magazine might be worthwhile to raise interest?

On another note… Overwintering Monarchs have been seen elsewhere in Avalon:

Lower Hutt / Avalon / 2013-04-14 04:00:00

Caryl
    Participant

Joanna, great idea. Councils usually have to have a good reason to fell such trees, e.g. threat to public safety. I can find no reference to the felling on any local website here.

joanna
    Participant

That’s sad news…. I imagine – or at least hope – that the councils had no idea they were overwintering sites. I don’t know if this is a new idea, but if trees which are known overwintering sites for monarchs can be identified, then the councils (city/district/regional) could be notified, in writing, so that these sites can be marked on the district plans as “trees of significance” and hopefully protected.

Though if this National Government gets it’s way with proposed changes to the RMA, then urban trees will have far less chance of being protected than they are now.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.