Wellington's First New Season Monarch?

• Creator
    Topic

Caryl
    Participant

I am so excited. The chrysalis travelled with me in my car when I went to the gym because she was ready to be born and I wanted to be around when she eclosed. Got her back and put her under a very gentle light and lo and behold she’s here!! This was all because I am going away overnight so I didn’t want to take any chances with her maybe falling while I was gone! Anyone else in Wellington aware of any new season’s monarchs. Caryl

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Desiderata
    Participant

As the adoptee of some of your cats caryl, you will be delighted to know that most have gone on to grace my garden with Js/pupa both here in Roseneath and at our farm in Pongaroa. Those chrysalis that had no attachment have also hatched under a food cover and released. I’m eagerly awaiting eggs! Last season I was treated to the most amazing sight of a male flirting and mating with a female, flitting around a hebe, and then aghast as the two lovers,in an embrace flying away to consummate their union. A beautiful sight!

Caryl
    Participant

Hi Again, Yes I feel the same. I had 12 born inside yesterday and 3 fell soon after eclosing. Thankfully I was right there to pick them up and they went on to dry their wings and were perfect.2/3 of new butterflies have been male. That’s a little troubling. Caryl

TgaLiz
    Participant

Hi Caryl, how exciting! No matter how many I see hatch, I still stop and gaze in wonder at the amazing sight of those amazing wings unfolding.
    Let’s hope we can do this a lot of times this summer.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.