What's happening in your neighbourhood?

• Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

Hi there everyone

I’m currently in Napier. Over the past few weeks I’ve been at home (Auckland) but also in Wairoa, Taupo, Te Awamutu, Kihikihi, Napier, Hastings.. and parts in between.

I’m surprised that I’m not seeing any adult (butterflies) flying around. Perhaps the overwintering generation of Monarchs has laid all its eggs and are now dead, and the first generation hasn’t got to maturity yet? I have plenty of caterpillars and pupae at home and (come to think of it) there were also eggs on my plants but as I drive around the suburbs and rural areas I have seen no butterflies… and I’m always on high butterfly alert.

So – please, next time you’re walking around the parks and streets, or driving around your neighbourhood, please report in here what you’re seeing (or not seeing) in yoru neck of the woods, I’d be interested.

Viewing 6 replies - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Caryl

Jacqui, I see cabbage whites quite often. Enjoy your weekend.

Caryl

Hi Jacqui, Seldom do I see monarchs on the street or from my car. A friend in Petone has swan plants supplied by me and he sees them most sunny days.

Jacqui

Caryl – when you go out of your garden – either on foot or in the car, do you see Monarchs flying around? Do you see Cabbage Whites? Elsewhere in Wellington… Would be interested to know.

Caryl

I’ve had monarchs visiting since mid September and have many caterpillars, I expect some chrysalis later this week. I have seen both the winter over and new generation ones, but mostly the aged ones which surprises me because I understand female monarchs lay about 300 eggs before dying. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised as now I wish I had counted the sunny days we’ve had this spring – few really. We’ve got to get more people to grow swan plants. There are few in my suburb, Seatoun.

Nola
    Participant

I haven’t seen a butterfly at my place south of Whangarei, but I bought 6 swan plants from Bunnings in Whangarei that had one solitary well grown caterpillar on one plant. So at least one has to be in Whangarei.

Errol
    Participant

Oodles of Monarchs flying about in Motueka.

Viewing 6 replies - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.