Where are all the Gum Emperor Moth caterpillars?

• Creator
    Topic

Debbie
    Participant

Hi, I have been looking for the gum Emperor caterpillar on and off for many years (20) and have only found them once while out walking. We have now moved and I have lovely silver dollar trees and I have not seen any caterpillars in 7 years of living here. I would love to adopt some for our tree (if they are not considered a pest). Does anyone have any? I think the ‘season’ for them is in the early stages now…I am in Half Moon Bay, Auckland. Thanks for your consideration. Debbie

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

david
    Participant

Hi Debbie,
    David here from Teddington in Lyttelton Harbour near Chch. We had a storm early this week and while out walking the next morning we found a gum caterpillar. We’ve got it in a small glass aquarium with gum branches and a few sprigs of fresh gum leaves. It’s fascinating to watch. Been in NZ 20 years and saw our first gum moth 3 weeks ago and this is our first caterpillar.

Good luck!🐛
    David and Ian

Antherina
    Participant

Only ever seen one wild moth. An un-mated female.There is an Insect page on Facebook that may help (NZ Bug Identification etc)?

sarahdodds
    Participant

Does anyone have eggs or caterpillars that I could have for my boys to raise?

Jacqui

Yes, the gum trees are about where the “Wa” shows up on the map here when I google “Grand Drive”

https://maps.google.co.nz/

The reserve is Waiatarua Reserve. I should think that they’d be about now – but I would wait until after a good blow, because you find them on the very new growth and that’s always at the top of the tree… so wait until some branches are blown down.

Debbie
    Participant

Thanks Jacqui, is that the park between Grand Drive and Abbotts way? if it is, I know it well and go past once a week. When are the eggs due to hatch? The last time I saw a catterpillar was in Febuary but I think they start well before that. I wonder if it is worth a look tomorrow…. ?

Jacqui

Hello Debbie

i’ve found them before on the eastern side of the park adjacent the Remuera Golf Course (there’s a large pond in the middle of it, sorry I can’t remember the name). And also in Fowlds Park, Mt Albert. Best to go after a good blow, as that’s when some of the new growth from the Eucalyptus will have been knocked to the ground. I would love to get some more and have another go at raising them. Magnificent things!

Debbie
    Participant

Oh yes please, and thank you very much! Ideally I might find someone closer to me, But I am not one to ‘look a gift horse in the mouth’. When the time comes, would you please let me know if you have spare caterpillars, and we can arrange postage etc. Thanks again. I will let you know if I find anything closer to me. Cheers, Debbie

Anna
    Participant

Debbie, I raised a lot of them last season….and they are wonderful to have around!
    Some of the cocoons I saved have been hatching, and I have eggs, but am unsure if they are fertile as yet. If I get a lot of caterpillars, I am happy to send some up to you…unless you find some locally. I am in the Nelson area.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.