white fly

Tagged: ,

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

YvonneWallis
    Participant

need some advise how to get rid of them off my large plants. Put in shower and washed repeatedly with water..no good..Have heard dish wash oil solution but a while before you can introduce caterpillars..is this effective..what is the proportions..how long before pillars can go on?

Cheers,

Yvonne

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Terry
    Participant

Strange pest the white fly! I had no problems with them for many years and then 2 years ago they appeared in my Butterfly House and attacked the Lantana Camara bushes. They absolutely covered them and no amount of hosing down with a spray jet or increase of humidity (Recommended by the Horticultural Society) would touch them. I struggled all year to keep them under control and then the following year they just disappeared and have so far not returned. I am at a loss as to what got rid of them, it certainly was nothing I did, and the conditions inside the Butterfly House remained the same. I had even considered evicting the Lantana bushes to see if that helped.

Darren
    Participant

Bioforce sell Encarsia formosa a parasitic wasp that attacks whitefly. Used to be popular before mass spraying became common.
    http://www.bioforce.net.nz/products/encarsia_formosa.html

Stefan Olson
    Participant

Yvonne,

I have found that the yellow cards aren’t much use unless you have a very small population. Unfortunately my population outside and in my glasshouse has gone crazy and are all over the Buddleias now, having killed 90% of my nettles. I haven’t found a spray that is really systematic. Part of what doesn’t help is that when you spray the underside of a leaf the whitefly just fly away, but if you come back the next day the numbers don’t seem to have changed.

I’m just hoping that the Buddleias won’t die too.

…Stefan

Bernie
    Participant

I have just thought Yvonne,maybe your plants are not in pots!If you do have them in some sort of enclosure,I find that having annual marigolds as “companion plants” certainly deters whitefly.I have used them for years in my greenhouse and they certainly work for me as well as being a good source of nectar for the butterflies.

Bernie
    Participant

Why not put two small wooden planks over the top of the pot in such a way that they do not damage the plant? Then carefully invert the pot and rest the planks on the top of your wheelie bin so that they support the compost in the pot and then fill wheelie bin with water.Alternatively,it’s a lot of trouble to remove the plant from the pot so if you have a plastic bag big enough,put plant in it and using the wheelie bin to support the bag,fill the bag full of water.Putting a brick on the pot stops it floating.

YvonneWallis
    Participant

okay might try the yellow cards..if that’s not affective I might be able to stick large rubbish bag over follage and pull roots out of pot and put in bag and hang upside down in water in wheely bin as I have heard before

Bernie
    Participant

Hi Yvonne
    If your plants are grown in pots,you can totally immerse them in water ,using a dustbin,for a few hours.The plants will come to no harm(as long as you don’t forget to take them out of the water!)

YvonneWallis
    Participant

thanks Jacqui will have a look 😉

Jacqui

Hi Yvonne

Here’s some information about whitefly – hope it helps.

Jacqui

https://www.monarch.org.nz/forum/tags/whitefly

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.