Why do fat cats wander

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all

I have been taking the fat caterpillars off the big plants and putting them onto smaller plants in a confined area (netted, small green house frame).

Probably a mistake because they demolish the plants quick, smart and rather than move to the next plant they "chrysalise"(is that a word?)on the netting.

I am presuming I cannot now shower hose the plants in there down because I might harm the chrysalides on the net?

This is all quite a business.

Best

Trisha (newbie)

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi All,

Thanks. I was just so amazed that a pillar had gone in there.
    I would have been gutted Jacqui if I had shut the book!!. Hubby prob would have found me crying in the butterfly house.. The neighbours would have thought I was mental..
    Well they prob think that already, haha from me talking in amongst the plants to the pillars. They prob think geezzzzzzzz those 2 are really mad talking to their plants.

Zoe I shall let you know thats for sure..

Our grove as PAtz calls it has grown also. Its incredible to look back and see how they looked a few months ago till now. Wow!!

Cheers
    Charlotte

zoe9
    Participant

Oh the funny thing. They do make me smile at times.

Now considering the placement of the dot I’d be interested to know if that pillar is in fact female…

margie
    Participant

Neat photo flutterbys and the J looks so comfortable and snug 🙂
    Cheers Margie

Swansong
    Participant

Love the photo flutterbys. Naughty naughty ‘Pillar : )

Swansong

Jacqui

Love the photograph Charlotte! I am SO glad you didn’t shut the book. 🙂 I bet you are too!

Jacqui

Anonymous
    Inactive

Haha, that’s funny Charlotte.
    I have a few chrysalides on the net and frame now. I am just leaving there – safe from wasps etc and plenty of space to emerge and stretch their wings.
    Best
    Trisha

Charlotte
    Participant

HI All,

I had a fat cat wonder!! into my notebook where I am keeping the dates/sex on all my hatchings.
    I opened the book and thought Oh wats that!! and saw it was a pillar who had made his dot on the notebook paper.
    So needless to say I have had to tear that piece of paper out of the book.

pillar

Cheers
    Charlotte

Jacqui

In the wild the Monarchs wander away from the host plant because they know that is where predators will be looking for them. Way back in the early days of the forum (like, three or four years ago) someone reported finding a pupa abuot 50 feet – or was it 50 metres away from the host plant! Amazing eh!!

What you can do, Trisha, is to put your smaller plants in the confined area with a branch – a stem of flax flowers is ideal – and surround these with a moat of water, so that they HAVE to stay put. A couple of years ago I made a wonderful living sculpture that way. Another friend has made a wreath, and hung it above the host plant by fishing nylon. The caterpillars cannot crawl up the fishing nylon, it’s too narrow, so go round and round the wreath until they find the best place. It has to be one though, where they will still have plenty of room to spread their wings – an old bicycle frame or a hula hoop or something like that would also be ideal. They have those in use too at West Lynn Garden.

Seeya!

Jacqui

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.