Why do you call it SWAN PLANT?

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

LNDesigns
    Participant

from where I am (mexico… and mainly north america in general

)… swan milkweed is just ONE of the many types of milkweed… and it’s deemed as ornamental. Actually, its sold as ‘pretty plants’ in my area… and most don’t even know the ‘swan’ variation of the milkweed family.

Is "Swan" the main (and seems like ONLY) type of milkweed you guys get in New Zealand?… where the pods are puffy and full of air before they go to seed? how wild to the grow there? how many types do you have?

I only have one type of swan where I am, I have indigenous Asclepias curassavica – Tropical Milkweed… of which they just LOVE/DEVOUR!!! :)

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi LN, Same for me I love being called a Kiwi 🙂 Welcome to the website.

LNDesigns
    Participant

HA! fantastic. Good to know. I don’t want to ever offend anyone, though I wind up finding my foot plated firmly in my mouth more times than I wish…

I know the bird, I never saw one in real life, though.

I have no idea what I would be called, being a transplanted Canadian… Here in Mexico I am called a Gringo (well, gringa for a female), but that can be slightly derogatory when said a specific way by a Mexican.

I just call myself a red-head freaky chick.
    lol

MaryL
    Participant

Hi LN as for me I love being called a Kiwi and I am very proud to be one .

Jacqui

Yes, me too, Errol. It’s funny when people (in the USA mainly) ask why we call ourselves after a fruit. I have to explain that the bird came first, then the people, then the fruit…

Errol
    Participant

For myself and I’m sure most of us, I’m proud to be called a ‘Kiwi’.
    Hope that puts your mind at ease LNDesigns.

LNDesigns
    Participant

oh! dummy me… here’s a link to my page…
    THAT makes it simple…
    http://www.facebook.com/abby.boogernugget

DUH!!! lol

LNDesigns
    Participant

it’s ABBY BOOGERNUGGET… and it’s a design I made of my chihuahua’s face in black outline on a white background that says Das Be?ger (get it?) … lol
    I thought of that name because I saw that my white chihuahua had a couple spots on her head.. and thought that they looked like umlauts … and I call her Booger all the time, but with an accent like bew-ger … and so I made her name with umlauts…

Yeah, I know… I’m WEIRD! lol…

Thnx all and I am thrilled to have some kiwi friends (do you guys accept being called Kiwi’s… or is that deemed derogatory ?)

Caryl

Hi Again
    I love your dedication. I have had no experience of infestations, diseases etc. I couldn’t find your username on Facebook. I wanted to see your photos.

MaryL
    Participant

Hi LN I just took a look at your facebook page they are great photos

MaryL
    Participant

Hi Ln your posts are wonderful I am looking forward to learning even more about Monarchs on your side of the world . what do you use to disinfect the leaves and what method . I will be following your posts with great interest I live in Christchurch and have not had any Monarchs this season so far We had a very bad season here last year due to snow and our earthquakes I was so disappointed , really hoping it will be much more productive this year Regards Mary

LNDesigns
    Participant

HELLO Caryl!

through the research here in North America… it is deemed that 1-4% of eggs lain make it to full adult stage. Many odds against them, ranging from preditors (mantis, assasin bug, tachnid fly, wasps and hornets) to bacterium (black death) and OE.
    OE is the worst, and I have had close to 100 of my cats die/mutated adults when I had my outbreak in my own raising operation. I had to shut the whole thing down to disinfect EVERYTHING. I haven’t really started back up as intensely because of that. I was quite devastated… but it’s common in large raising conditions… and it’s EVERYWHERE in the wild.

I will be next year building a greenhouse with VERY CONTROLLED rearing conditions, disinfecting even the eggs, let alone the leaves if coming in from the outside… to keep OE at bay.

I have some pics of some of my rearing op of last year on my Facebook page – Abby Boogernugget is my facebook username. 🙂

Caryl

Love your posts!! I am a New Zealander and spent 5 months in Mexico at the Marina in La Cruz. Loved it. Do you know what % of caterpillars survive in Mexico. I check my caterpillars every day because they wander off and die or find somewhere not safe to make the chrysalis. I don’t think this butterfly season is going to be good in Wellington. The eggs were laid very early and took 77 days to form a chrysalis. The female winterovers have long died. Love to hear from you. My name is Caryl and my email is catlovercaryl@gmail.com

LNDesigns
    Participant

thnx.

I am growing A. Curassavica right now, and have seeds in the fridge cold-strating of Common, Ice Ballet, and Swamp milkweed. They will be ready for me to plant come late December. Those seeds were sent to me from fellow monarch friends up north in Eastern USA (Massachusetts and Iowa).

THNX for clearing that up. I would not have realized that milkweed had two classes from different continents! that’s just fantastic! … Learn something every day! 🙂

Jacqui

I knew there were pictures of it somewhere: the swan plant, the “giant” swan plant and A. curassavica, thanks to Darren.

Gomphocarpus-fruticosus-seedpod

Jacqui

Hello LN

Somewhere on this website there’s an explanation about the different types of milkweed in NZ. Look under Monarchs, there are several papers there; the main one is:

https://www.monarch.org.nz/monarchs/monarch-host-plants/milkweed/

I think if you stopped NZers on the street and asked them what is a ‘swan plant’, if people know a little bit about Monarch butterflies, then they know the ‘swan plant’. It’s called that as the seed pods are sort of oval shape (like a rugby ball) with a little upturned “beak” at the far end, and where it’s attached to the plant, it’s by a stem that’s S shaped. So the pod looks like a little swan.

When we were children at school every year in the 1950s we would have flower shows, and I think every year there was a category of a “floating bowl”, whereby flowers would be floated on the surface of the water. Many of us floated the seed pods as swans. 🙂

Milkweed species come from two continents ? Africa and America. The species that comes from Africa were reclassified as?Gomphocarpus? by Kew Gardens botanists. American species are ?Asclepias? but all are members of the Asclepiadoideae family.

Most people wouldn’t know the plants botanical name, but know it as the ‘swan plant’. Even growers market A. curassavica as “red swan plant” although of course the resemblance to swans is non-existant. But people who love Monarchs think of Monarch larvae eating “swan plant”.

So the other variety of milkweed from Africa is also nicknamed the “giant swan plant” because the fruit (seed pods) are larger, but once again the similarity to a swan (bird) has been lost. You can see pictures of the pods here:

Seed: Giant Swan Plant (Milkweed) Gomphocarpus physocarpus

The plants don’t generally grow wild – people either keep them growing in their gardens or buy them each year from garden centres (shops) because they want to offer the Monarchs somewhere to lay their eggs and/or because they’ve “run out of food” for the caterpillars in their garden.

Hope that explains things here. Why don’t you come and visit?

LNDesigns
    Participant

I am concerned (no sorry… wrong word)…
    … curious …
    of why you all call it ‘swan plant’…
    that’s all…

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.