Winter newsletter 2011

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

Hi all

Well, it’s in the mail, and if I have time today I will put the pdf version on the website for those of you who have taken out the email subscription.

With your newsletter comes an invitation to renew your subscription (or join up!) and if you do so before the end of July your name will go into the lucky draw to win:

a hamper of Barker’s fine products (jams and preserves) worth $60,

a copy of "Managing Pests and Diseases for NZ Gardeners", worth $45,

a copy of "Nana Helen and the ‘mazing Monarch Butterfly" worth $30,

one of three "Wally Ones’ worth $66 each,

one of three twin-packs of Richmond Plains Wines, each pack worth $50 approx.

There are some great articles in the newsletter, including (not in any particular order)

Overwintering and tagging updates,

two reports on Admiral activities,

a plug for this year’s calendar and caterpillar castles, and some beautiful new stickers,

the latest winner of the Colouring Contest,

an update on what they’re doing in Kawhia, Nelson, Ashburton, Kapiti and in the Catlins,

a wonderful story from Jane about looking after the wasteland next door,

interesting information about the case moth,

an update on the Large White Butterfly,

a report on butterfly diseases and wasps,

and introduction to our new trustee and a delightful poem from Yvonne Wallis… AND MORE

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies

NormTwigge
    Participant

Great to get this feedback on the newsletter, good and bad.

The word “organisation” or “group’ would have been a better choice than “voice” but we were trying to compare our organisation with other formal groups such as the numerous ones that help marine mammals, and the efforts of Butterfly Conservation (UK) and Monarch Watch (North America).

As you all know, we are frequently recognising those individuals who work for the conservation of butterflies and moths, and awareness in this area, in the forum, in our links and in our newsletter. Take a look at the numerous examples and reports in this latest newsletter, and our certification project is yet another way. Also this thread below, and we hope we can do similar projects to this in the future:

The Twelve Buddleias of Christmas

3000 or 4000 words in the newsletter, and only one person picked up the
    other mistake…

As far as sharing the newsletters, it is an excellent idea to be able to share them if it is in the interests of our organisation, its ideals and its members.

On another note, the forum was designed to help the general public and our financial members with issues or problems to do with our butterflies and moths and plants of relevance. It was not designed to be a place where non-members could have a free for all as to what they think of the MBNZT, its plans and direction.

This topic is now closed.

Norm Twigge, Chairman MBNZT

Anonymous
    Inactive

Darren, Possibly you are correct that the statement was not intended to cause upset. However it has upset several people as it is a misleading and false statement.

“The Monarch Butterfly NZ Trust is the only independent voice in this country raising awareness and offering education.”

No the ‘Monarch Trust’ is not the only independent voice.

Other New Zealand based internet resources promoting Butterfly awareness and conservation are;
    Darren’s website
    Christchurch City Council
    Earthlore
    NZ Admiral
    Te Ara
    Graeme Hill
    Science Learning
    Landcare Research

However, if the statement was changed to;

The Monarch Butterfly NZ Trust is an independent voice in this country raising awareness and offering education.

Then it this would be a true and non-offensive statement.

Robert.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I see my last post doesn’t show. Guess it’s in the spam folder again.
    Robert.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Darren, Possibly you are correct that the statement was not intended to cause upset. However it has upset several people as it is a misleading and false statement.

“The Monarch Butterfly NZ Trust is the only independent voice in this country raising awareness and offering education.”

No the ‘Monarch Trust’ is not the only independent voice.

Other New Zealand based internet resources promoting Butterfly awareness and conservation are;
    Darren’s website
    Christchurch City Council
    Earthlore
    NZ Admiral
    Te Ara
    Graeme Hill
    Science Learning
    Landcare Research

However, if the statement was changed to;

The Monarch Butterfly NZ Trust is an independent voice in this country raising awareness and offering education.

Then it this would be a true and non-offensive statement.

I do not think the printed statement was a mistake or even a case of bad English. But a despite way to try to keep membership and get grants for ‘invisible’ projects.

It would be nice if the ‘Trust’ would respond to my (and others) private email regarding this grievance in a timely manner. As the longer it takes, the more it looks like your are guilty of writing this misleading statement for self promotion reasons.

Just like the stupid threats from Jacqui on January 19th, 2010 about me using my own nzButterfly.info email address on the forum as promotion. It would appear that some trustees would rather the trust had a monopoly and there was no-one else in New Zealand promoting Butterflies apart from themselves!

As Charlotte, Jane, Terry, Trisha, Anna and Darren have all said that the two resources compliment each other.

Robert.

Darren
    Participant

Like you Anna, I am fairly new here and very grateful for all the help and support I have received. In return I try to help others in the same way that people have helped me.

At the same time I think http://nzbutterfly.info is a terrific resource and Robert has done a great job with it. I often visit it for information, and I see the names of other people I recognise from here so I know I am not alone in that.

I also know that whenever you get a group of people together, be it a soccer club, church, workplace, or whatever, it seems inevitable that misunderstandings, irritations, clashes of personalities and what I generally refer to as “politics” are not far behind.

One possible interpretation of that statement in the newsletter is that http://nzbutterfly.info does not exist. That seems unlikely to me to be the intended interpretation.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Robert, rightly or wrongly, I have been assuming the $70,000 for the demonstration classroom which is being established, is the same project that was initiated three or so years ago but called an office and CEO salary at that time.
    Jacqui has mentioned it in a couple of posts and there’s a bit of blurb about it under the DONATE tab top right on this page.
    I was also assuming “exciting”,”new” meant exciting and new rather than referring to that same old project.

Everyone is free to fundraise for the projects they want to see happen. Usually organisations or individuals would tell you what they want your money for though?
    If it’s all in the newsletter, then clearly MBNZT is primarily targeting exisiting members for subscriptions.
    Not sure why I received an invitation with no information.

Anna, that’s great you are a satisfied customer. There is a lot of information on the site.

Anna
    Participant

Well…I received my newsletter yesterday, and its a real cracker.
    Many hours would go into producing the newsletter, collecting all the information, then putting it all together, and getting it posted out to everyone, and posting it on the website.

I’m only a new member, and have found the website great for gleaning information on raising butterflies, and on what to plant to encourage them etc, and its been neat to ask questions on the forum, and get answers from helpful forum posters.

We may not agree on everything, but hopefully can get on with the task at hand…to raise awareness and educate people about our butterflies and moths.

Anonymous
    Inactive

These ‘very exciting and new projects and initiatives‘ requiring $70,000 (I hear) seem to crop up ever year, but never eventuate. This is the primary reason I am not a financial member anymore.

Still there is many private individuals & small groups who achieve more awareness education & conservation work then the trust without needing thousands of dollars. If we collectively had $70,000 between us, then there would be so much more high-profile Butterfly awareness education and conservation work completed here in New Zealand.

Charlotte
    Participant

I am still trying to find out what all the Trust’s exciting and new projects and initiatives are before I consider renewing my membership.
    This is why Al is hesitating on letting ME join again;-( He does not want to see our money be wasted on unnecessary items.
    Al says he WORKS far too hard to allow me to WASTE any money!

I certainly hope all the secrets can be clarified soon.

Thanks
    Char

Anonymous
    Inactive

I saw Char’s original query about this statement and wondered how it could be claimed, and even worse, published.
    I don’t get the newsletter anymore, but I have now heard the claim is made is very prominently on the front page as part of the push for membership renewals.
    Very insulting for ALL the other independent voices who do so much. They do indeed deserve an apology.
    I am still trying to find out what all the Trust’s exciting and new projects and initiatives are before I consider renewing my membership. I have asked. but got no answers and I can’t find anything on the website??
    I didn’t renew last year because there were no projects underway. I made an unsolicited donation to Robert’s website instead.
    Time Jacqui or one of her trustees fronted up on these issues.
    I agree with Terry, the two main butterfly websites should be viewed as complementary. The MBNZT one is more social, Robert’s is a more serious information source.
    I rememeber Robert was once threatened with being banned from the trust forum because he put his NZButterflyinfo email address in a post. Big Brother trying to control butterfly issues is how that came across to me.
    Four years ago the MBNZT was totally focussed on Monarch’s and only a handful of members (Robert, Vicky, Norm, Ange) were posting about Admirals and others.
    C’mon MBNZT, play nicely, please.
    My invitation to join, received in the mail this week, was a long shopping list I could buy items from and the statement :We are working on some very exciting projects this year…
    Well, what are they?
    Trisha

Terry
    Participant

I think both Roberts site and this one compliment each other in a way because Roberts site does what it says in it’s name, it provides accurate info and details of each Butterfly to be found in NZ and maps of there range, whereas this site tends to be a more informal site and it’s forum a good place for enthusiasts to meet up and exchange views, even if those views sometimes cause friction. However it is not worth people getting too upset with each other, even if the statement complained about in this thread is inaccurate. All of the Butterfly conservation based groups and individuals in NZ need each other in reality because the more interest you generate the more people will become enthusiasts and the better the end result. I hope both sites flourish in to the future.

Charlotte
    Participant

HI Jane

I agree and this is why I raised the query back up in our posts and have had no reply.

I can’t believe this was put in a newsletter to everyone!
    Not only Robert deserves an apology but all others who are INDEPENDANT of the TRUST and possibly not even financial members who really do there own thing and work hard.

Well said Jane.

Cheers
    Char

Jane
    Participant

Hi All,

I have today recieved the winter newsletter. Excellent content and I have enjoyed reading it HOWEVER: –

WHAT??????? ARE YOU KIDDING??????

That is a pretty shocking thing to say!!!

What about nzbutterfly.info which is a fantastic site, arguably currently the best site, for ‘raising awareness and offering education’ on our NZ native butterflies. Robert has spent many years developing the site and providing education, information and encouragement to those of us who are interested to find out more about our NZ native butterflies. Come on guys!! The MBNZT really should apologise to Robert Arter-Williamson.

The newsletter is great and I really enjoyed reading it today, BUT thought I really had to say something about that opening statement, because I couldn’t get it out of my mind.

For those of us interested in butterflies and encouraging others to be likewise, we really MUST fully support each others efforts in this area, and there are many independent voices out there in the ether, quietly working away at various projects to support butterflies and moths.

Darren
    Participant

oh sure, Trisha, purely academic hypothetical ponderings on my part. I don’t know if the MBNZT has a policy, but I suspect they would be in favour of anything that helps spread the word in a positive way. I don’t speak on behalf of the MBNZT. If I do want to say something semi-official about the website I use the WDM hat. The future of copyright is just something I’ve been pondering since reading the Aardvark column. I have all sorts of random things bouncing around in my head ;->

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Darren – no coming events, so I wasn’t missing anything.

The copyright issue is mostly academic? It doesn’t matter much what others think.
    It would be a more about trust policy whether it’s OK to give others the PDF of newsletters?
    When I was a member,I printed one off,along with other information,for a school project for a child I gave caterpillars, eggs, butterflies and chrysalides to. I didn’t think for a minute I was doing harm – rather thought I was doing good? .
    Sending off a group email with the newsletter link or the PDF attached would be quite different.
    Something for Jacqui to clarify?
    The trust’s forum rules/guidelines regarding copyright in posts is frequently breached and no action is taken.
    Trisha

Darren
    Participant

The coming events page has been updated.

Regarding copyright issues, the following newspaper article might be of interest:

Is internet copyright dead?
    JENNY KEOWN
    Last updated 05:00 30/06/2011
    A chorus of IT professionals made a controversial call that copyright had no place on the internet at the inaugural NetHui in Auckland yesterday run by lobby group InternetNZ.
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/5209643/Is-internet-copyright-dead

The blogger Aardvark also discussed this article in some depth. His column is here:
    Death of copyright?
    30 June 2011
    http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2011/0630.shtml

Anonymous
    Inactive

No worry, Darren.
    I was more commenting that the trust seemed less active these days and asking if there would there be anything coming out to encourage re-activiating expired memberships for those of us who don’t the newletters any longer.
    I do check the coming events for things nearby that might be of interest, is all.
    Best
    Trisha

Anonymous
    Inactive

Char, regarding copyright, it has being publicly said by the ‘Monarch Trust’ to share them as much as possible, so the delivery method is irrelevant. Existing copyright laws cover digital copies as well as print. Unfortunately big corporates have made this up to make more money.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Charlotte,

Is this non-truth really put in the newsletter?

This sentence is a kick-in-the-face to people that are doing far more work in butterfly awareness education and conservation then the ‘Monarch Trust’ appears to do on a far larger budget of thousands (from grants and over-priced items) rather then tens or hundreds of dollars from private funding. I hope there is a corrective apology published on the website and in the next newsletter for this very offensive inaccurate sentence.

Most people are aware that the ‘Monarch Trust’ is one of a few that promote butterfly awareness, they are not alone by a long way and should not be deluding themselves if they really think they are.

Robert.

Charlotte
    Participant

Thanks Darren I was thinking more to attach the pdf into an email and send to fellow work collegaues and frineds who are butterfly friends;-)
    This saves on ink and paper for this gal and I still have my copy on the computer.
    I am still trying to convince Al about going to a mailed newsletter instead of the online version.

Thanks
    Char

Darren
    Participant

Hi Trisha, sorry about the comming events page, I’ve had a lot on recently and the time I have to spend on the website has suffered. I’ll get to it soon.

Charlotte you raise an interesting point. The old notions of copyright don’t translate well to a digital age. I guess the difference is that if you lend your friend your hardcopy newsletter you no longer have it, but you can copy the pdf thousands of times and still keep the original.

Charlotte
    Participant

I was wondering if people who have the email version could share with friends and work colleagues the PDF of the newsletter as long as the newsletter has been downloaded onto the computer?
    As I remember reading somewhere on the website or being told that we could share our newsletter we receive in the mail with other people once we have finished reading the newsletter;-)

Thanks
    Char

Charlotte
    Participant

As always Jane has provided us with a great article about what her and Pete have done out the back of their place in the wastelands next door. A great read Jane;-)

Yvonne’s poem is fantastic and I am glad to see this made it to the newsletter,a s I feel the poem is certainly worth it.
    Well done to you Yvonne!

With the calendars I do hope the butterfly photo will be a full page or at least most of the page, and that January has a photo as well?

I do have one query about the sentence The Monarch Butterfly NZ Trust is the only independent voice in this country raising awareness and offering education.
    What about Robert’s website and what Robert does?
    Ange does her own thing for Admirals and so does Graham Hill.

I hope to renew my membership if Al will let me.

Thanks
    Char

Anonymous
    Inactive

Will there be an email update of any new iniatives for those of us who are not currently financial members but might consider joining/rejoining?
    I thought the trust might be winding down with no membership drive and no updates of trust activities the past few months.
    The Coming Events page is months out of date too.
    Thanks
    Trisha

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.